Wednesday 24 April 2013

Book Review: Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell

My first book review!  At last!

I didn't mean it to take so long, but it has taken me months to read this book.

You've probably heard of Cloud Atlas.  It's been chosen as a good read by Richard and Judy's book club.  It's been nominated for awards, and it's one of David Cameron's favourites (praise indeed).

It's lots of short stories in a chronological sandwich, and all the stories are connected by the characters being the same people in different lives (as demonstrated by a rather clumsy comet birth mark).  The characters refer to the other texts, which reminds me rather of Charlie Cook's Favourite Book by Julia Donaldson (which is a great kids book).

I enjoyed the middle of the book; the stories about Sonmi~451 and Zachry.  I really enjoyed the Sonmi~451 story, it's made me want to watch the film.  The Zachry story was good - I do love a bit of post-apocalypse, but it really annoys me when things are written phonetically.  I did get used to it eventually, but it was annoying, a bit like the marvellous Iain M Banks' book Feersum Endjinn, which is a great story, but I found it to be very hard to read (my husband found it easy, so it may well just be me).

I thought I should say, briefly, what the story is about, so I racked my brain and came to the conclusion I don't really know what it was about.  I read the blurb on the back to check and am none-the-wiser.  If there is a theme running through it it is of humanity's determination to underestimate certain sectors, whether it be on grounds of race, sex, education, employment, or any other kind of birth status.

This book is very popular, and, looking back at it, I can see that it's full of good ideas, and as I said, I did like the futuristic bits in the middle, but I found it a very difficult read.  While I don't think that characters need to be likeable I would rather they were engaging.  I found it very hard to care about the poisoning of Adam, the shenanigans of Mr Frobisher, or the ordeal of Mr Cavendish.  I'm usually a pretty quick reader but this took me months!  I bought Cloud Atlas just before Christmas and got lots of books for Christmas (and a few more since), so I've resented the time this has taken me.  Apparently Robert Smith (of The Cure) likes to read, but once he's started a book he feels the need to finish it.  He reserved special antipathy for a fan who sent him a dreadful book which he then had to wade all the way through. I'm not like Robert Smith, I have given up plenty of times, but I did feel I was wading through this one!  That said, I would really like to see the film.

Have you read the book?  What did you think?  Have you seen the film?  Is it worth a watch?

So I have a copy of Cloud Atlas to give away.  I know I've really sold it to you haven't I?  Would you like it?  Let me know.  I'm also wondering what to read next.  What do you think?  The choices are Trudi Canavan, JV Jones or George RR Martin (don't you love a choice that means I'm definitely going to get to read some fantasy :-)).  

No comments:

Post a Comment